Information for Your Healing Journey
What is Grief?
- The pain felt in response to the death of someone we love
- A normal response to loss
- Unique to each person: Every individual grieves differently
- There is no right or wrong way to grieve
- A process that has no timeline; each person grieves and heals at different rates, in different ways
- It is NOT a sign of weakness, a disorder, or a disease
- It is a journey filled with highs and lows, much like a roller-coaster
- Can continue to be experienced throughout our lifetime, at different milestones, holidays, etc…
The Fundamentals of Grief
When grieving, we feel the effects of grief, not only in the emotional impact, but physically, mentally, socially and spiritually. Here are a few effects that you may experience in yourself or see in those around you who are grieving.
We have the tools to work through grief.
The National Bereavement Resource Guide Sponsored by New York Life and The Moyer Foundation provides a compilation (PDF format) of state and local resources organized by state.